The Qualifying Requirements Before Taking The Combined Defense Services Examination:
In order to be part of the Indian Military Academy, you will have to pass the Combined Defense Services Examination which is solely conducted by the Union Public Service Commission and done two times a annually during the months of February and August. You will get the results of your examination during the months of August and March. By passing the CDS examination, you not only get the chance to be part of the Indian Military Academy, but will also have the chance to go to the following institutions. Please refer to the list below:
- Officers training Academy
- Naval Academy
- Air Force Academy
Once a notification stating that you passed the Combined Defense Services Examination, you will be interviewed by the Service Selection Board or the SSB. They will be the one to give the final verdict if you will be admitted or not.
Before taking the Combined Defense Services Examination, there are certain eligibilities that you have to consider first. To know more about them, please refer to the list below:
- The exam can only be taken by a single or unmarried Indian national.
- The person to take the exam should be a citizen of India, a subject of Bhutan or Nepal.
- If you came as a Tibetan refugee who came to India on or before January 1, 1962 and aim to settle in the country permanently.
- Or People who have migrated to India and came from the following countries:
- a) Pakistan
- b) Burma
- c) Sri Lanka
- d) East Africa including Kenya and Uganda.
- e) United Republic of Tanzania
- f) Zambia
- g) Malawi
- h) Zaire
- i) Ethiopia
- j) Vietnam
There is also a set age limit for each institution.
- For the Indian Military Academy – Born between January 2, 1988 to January 1, 1993.
- For the Naval Academy – Born between January 2, 1990 to January 1, 1993.
- For Air Force Academy – Born between January 2, 1989 to January 1, 1993.
- For the officer’s training Academy – Born between January 2, 1987 to January 1, 1993.
- For the officer’s training Academy (women) – Born between January 2, 1987 to January 1, 1993.
- You must have the following education attainment before taking the Combined Defense Services Examination; you must have a degree from a reputable college if you want to enter the Indian Military Academy, Bachelor of Engineering or BS Science in Physics or Math if you want to enter the Naval and Air Force.