Current Affairs of December 2011 for all types of Competitive Exams Read top news headlines and latest major events happened in India and World in the month of December 2011. The information given will help you to prepare for exams like: IAS, PCS, UPSC, Railways, SSC, Banking and all other competitive exams.
Current Affairs of 01 December 2011:
- Winter session has not done any significant business after Parliament was convened on November 22. Congress party firmly backs the government as the NDA supports 5 crore traders holding protests today.
- A bomb exploded near the office of a regional government official in the often restive city of Peshawar early on Thursday, police officials said, but there were no immediate reports of casualties.
Current Affairs of 02 December 2011:
- Former Malaysian prime minister Dr Mahathir bin Mohamad said today that India could be China in terms of its economic development if it was less democratic. Mahathir said though democracy is the best form of government, it is not the easiest to govern because people do not understand the limitations of democracy.
- A ‘scientific’ report has alleged that relaxing the ban on women drivers would also see more Saudis – both men and women – turn to homosexuality and pornography. The report was delivered to all the 150 members of the country’s legislative body.
Current Affairs of 03 December 2011:
- The central government has decided to keep on hold its decision to allow foreign equity in retail till a consensus emerged on the issue, West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee said on Saturday after talking to union finance minister Pranab Mukherjee.
- Often accused of playing a negative role in Nepal, India seems interested in reshaping its ties with the Himalayan nation in a new way with stress on economic cooperation.
Current Affairs of 04 December 2011:
- Expressing concern over China’s involvement in the Kashmir region, Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah has said India should show “some spine” while dealing with that country. China sucking out CBI’s secrets.
- Five militants and two members of an elite police force were killed in a clash in southern Kazakhstan, prosecutors said today, amid concerns about rising Islamist unrest in the Central Asian state.
Current Affairs of 05 December 2011:
- Police in Hyderabad have sounded a high alert ahead of Dec 6, the anniversary of the demolition of the Babri Masjid which is coinciding this year with ‘Yaum-e-Ashoora’, the 10th day of Muharram.
- Pakistan will review all its agreements with the US and NATO in the aftermath of the November 26 airstrike that left two dozen Pakistan Army soldiers dead, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said. Pak troop deaths ‘regrettable’: Obama.
Current Affairs of 06 December 2011:
- Sanga ton delays inevitable as No.1 Test rank beckons hosts.
- India would do well to look at the big picture and set long-term goals.
- Rs 5,000 crores lined up for Uttar Pradesh growth.
- China accepts emission cut deal, India in spot.
- Debate on retail FDI ignores substantive aspects of policy.
Current Affairs of 07 December 2011:
- Asaram Bapu booked for attempt to murder.
- Yet another study sounds alarm on CO² raising temps.
- Sanga, Dhoni differ on Umpire Review System.
- Parliamentary panel’s proposals to get Lokpal approval on probe annoy CBI.
- Delhi University Dalit prof ‘harassed’ for Suprme Court quota reforms thesis.
Current Affairs of 08 December 2011:
- Supreme Court extends stay on HC proceedings in Ishrat Jahan case.
- AMC to spend Rs 50L to make city commuter-friendly.
- Court rejects Stephen’s plea on Thampu appointment.
- FIR against ‘indecent’ Vidya Balan.
- Rs.6,500 crores FDI in power sector cleared.
Current Affairs of 09 December 2011:
- IL&FS acquires 49 percent stake in state-run Chinese company.
- Trinamool against setting up of N-power plant in Bengal.
- Proposal for pre-paid fare for rickshaws at Pune station gathers dust with railway authorities.
- Fire toll 89, owners of Kolkata hospital held.
- Bieber, Gomez sunbathe together in Mexico.
Current Affairs of 10 December 2011:
- “Standing committee has betrayed the whole country. The poor are suffering and will not get justice till lower level officers are brought under the Lokpal,” said Hazare.
- The deputy commander of the Pakistan Taliban, who have been waging a four-year war against the government in Islamabad, confirmed the two sides were in peace talks, a move that could further fray the US-Pakistan relationship.
Current Affairs of 11 December 2011:
- Speaker to inquire before accepting Congress MP’s resignation.
- E-ticket in 2,000 ST buses starting from city.
- Pollution takes toll on youngsters’ skin.
- Point mutation of H1N1 virus won’t affect vaccine development.
- Farmers in a fix over declining price and low production of tender arecanut.
- Airport loaders caught stealing from fliers’ baggage.
- India gets its way as climate summit closes.
Current Affairs of 12 December 2011:
- It was on this day, 100 years ago, that an event changed the course of Delhi’s history forever. The Delhi Durbar on December 12, 1911 was marked as a celebration of the coronation of King Emperor George V.
- A strong 6.0-magnitude earthquake struck early today near the South Sandwich Islands, a remote British territory near Antarctica and South America’s southern tip, the US Geological Survey said.
Current Affairs of 13 December 2011:
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will hold consultations with allies on Tuesday on the Lokpal issue at a meeting of UPA leaders, the first such exercise after the fiasco over FDI in retail.
- With the US troop withdrawal from Iraq in its final days, President Barack Obama and Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri-al Maliki will meet at the White House on Monday to discuss the next phase of the relationship between their countries.
Current Affairs of 14 December 2011:
- Ahead of WTO Ministerial Conference in Geneva, trade ministers of G-20 countries are expected to meet today to review the progress of talks on liberalising global trade through the Doha pact, an official said.
- Nordine Amrani, the lone gunman who died after killing three people and injuring scores in an attack in a crowded Belgian square today, had a long criminal record but not for violent crime.
Current Affairs of 15 December 2011:
- Around 250 staff members of Kolkata’s Advanced Medicare Research Institute (AMRI), where 93 people were killed in a blaze last week, have resigned en masse citing “security reasons”.
- The Indian rupee fell by 46 paise to a record low of Rs 54.17 per US dollar in early trade on Thursday, breaching the Rs 54 per dollar-mark for the first time in history on sustained foreign capital outflows and dollar gains against the euro and other rivals overseas.
Current Affairs of 16 December 2011:
- 2 RSP men killed, glare on Congress.
- Saina, Anand start favourites in Syed Modi International Grand Prix.
- Sachin now eligible for Bharat Ratna.
- Indian is world’s shortest living woman.
- India, Russia agree on credit for Kudankulam Units 3, 4.
- NIOS 2011 results declared.
Current Affairs of 17 December 2011:
- With pressure mounting on the Centre for enacting a strong anti-graft legislation, home minister P Chidambaram today said the Lokpal Bill will “certainly” be introduced in the Winter Session of Parliament.
- The death toll from tropical storm Washi surged to 180 today with nearly 400 people missing in flash floods that ravaged the southern Philippines.
Current Affairs of 18 December 2011:
- Railways plans to launch bullet trains in six high-speed corridors; top speed: 350kmph; journey time to be reduced by half.
- The external affairs ministry has said it has no records of any “purported” letter written in 1962 by then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru to his Israeli counterpart David Ben Gurion seeking help during the Sino-India war.
Current Affairs of 19 December 2011:
- VP Singh to Narasimha Rao to AB Vajpayee and Manmohan Singh — Chaudhary Ajit Singh, 72, has been sought by one and all. The 3.7% Jat vote he controls in western Uttar Pradesh is a catalyst for both state assembly and Lok Sabha elections.
- A Russian court today suspended its verdict till December 28 on the demand for banning Hindu scripture Bhagavad Gita, which a group linked to the Christian Orthodox Church has described as ‘extremist’.
Current Affairs of 20 December 2011:
- Team Anna rejects govt draft, cautions BJP on ‘double speak’.
- The death toll from a destructive storm that hit the southern Philippines has risen to 927, the head of the govt disaster monitoring council said late Monday.
Current Affairs of 21 December 2011:
- Union home ministry Dec.21,2011 sanctioned National Investigation Agency to file chargesheet against American terrorist David Coleman Headley, his accomplice Tahawwur Hussain and others including Pakistani Army serving and retired officers.
- BEIJING: The proposed February launch of India’s Agni-V missile has ruffled feathers among Chinese policy makers with Communist Party organ, the People’s Daily, saying the move reflects India’s “intention of seeking regional balance of power”.
Current Affairs of 22 December 2011:
- Claiming that the Centre was not paying heed to her suggestions on the lokpal bill, Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati today said her Bahujan Samaj Party would not support the legislation if CBI is not brought under its ambit.
- Facebook Inc has agreed to make several changes to its services to improve transparency and better protect the personal data of its millions of users outside of the US, following an in-depth audit of its international headquarters that was released on Dec.22,2011.
Current Affairs of 23 December 2011:
- As Bombay high court rejected a petition seeking concessional rate for hiring MMRDA ground to hold his fast, Anna Hazare on Friday said he will seek donations from public to book the protest venue.
- The earthquake-devastated New Zealand city of Christchurch was rocked by two powerful 5.8 magnitude tremors on Dec 23,2011 sending terrified residents onto the streets and forcing the airport to close.
Current Affairs of 24 December 2011:
- Under Raje pressure, BJP puts off election for Rajasthan unit chief
- Remove officials close to Mayawati, BJP tells Eelection Commision.
- Court orders summons to websites for webcasting objectionable content.
- Survey of India officials to begin Dinakaran land probe on Dec 30.
- Ansari seeks law ministry views on airport fee debate.
Current Affairs of 25 December 2011:
- President pushes for woman judge in Supreme Court.
- US Senate confirms Rajiv Shah’s nomination as USAID chief.
- In China, rising religiosity among Party cadres brings warning.
- Pakistan PM rejects Information Minister Awan’s resignation.
Current Affairs of 26 December 2011:
- Observing that Anna Hazare had already “cleared the air” on links between himself and Sangh Parivar, former RSS chief K Sudarshan today accused Congress of purposefully using the name of the saffron organisation to target the anti-corruption movement.
- A fake marriage gang, which involved five Pakistani men and several Slovak women, has been jailed for manipulating marriage system to flout UK immigration laws.
Current Affairs of 27 December 2011:
- Now, CBSE moots ability test for Class X.
- India-Sri Lanka final ODI abandoned due to dicey pitch.
- Tata to fix starters in 1.40 lakh Nano cars.
- Delhi govt agrees to Rs.500cr bailout for BSES discoms.
- Current Affairs of 28 December 2011:
- A Russian court on Wednesday rejected a petition, described by India as “patently absurd”, which had sought a ban on a translated version of Bhagvad Gita, bringing cheers to followers here as well as those across the world.
- A roadside bomb attack killed three NATO troops in eastern Afghanistan, one of the deadliest flashpoints in the 10-year war against Taliban insurgents, the military said on Dec 28,2011 .
Current Affairs of 29 December 2011:
- IT majors set sights on $30 bn overseas outsourcing deals.
- Unitech’s $700 mn FCCB plan hits regulatory wall.
- Japan commits $ 4.5 bn to India for industrial corridor.
- NTPC board nod to Rs.18,347 crore investment plans.
Current Affairs of 30 December 2011:
- Attacking the opposition for Rajya Sabha’s failure to pass the Lokpal Bill, parliamentary affairs minister Pawan Bansal today said the Bill will be taken up for consideration in the Budget session of Parliament.
- As the United States enters the crucial election year, president Barack Obama and his Democratic party has a clear edge over the opposition Republican party, a latest opinion poll has said.
Current Affairs of 31 December 2011:
- US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was admitted to a New York hospital on Monday after doctors discovered a blood clot related to a concussion she suffered early this month.
- Altogether 17 elephants were killed in the district, the latest being at Sabalaya under Khallikote forest range where six were killed when they were hit by a train on Sunday.