The general election is held on the basic of adult suffrage. Every person who is citizen of India and not less then 18 years of age is entitled to vote at the election, provided he is not disqualified by law. Election to Parliament of the legislature of a state can be called in question only by an election petition in the High Court, with appeal to the Supreme Court. The exclusive forum for adjudicating disputes relating to the election of the President and Vice- president if the Supreme Court.
India Elections Commission and CEC
- In order to supervise the entire procedure and machinery for election and for some other ancillary, the Constitution provides for this independent body.
- The election Commission is independent of executive control to ensure a fair election.
- The election Commission consists of a Chief Election Commissioners.
- President can determine the number of Election Commissioners.
Chief Election Commissioner (CEC)
The president appoints the Chief Election Commissioner who has a tenure of 6 years, or up to the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier. The CEC enjoys the same status and receivers the same salary and perks as available to judges of the Supreme Court.
Chief Election Commissioners of India
|1||Sukumar Sen||21 March, 1950 Dec, 1958|
|2||K.V.K. Sundaram||20 Dec, 1958- 30 Sept, 1967|
|3||S.P. Sen Verma||01 Oct, 1967-30 Sept, 1972|
|4||Dr. Nagendra Singh||01 Oct, 1972 -06 Feb, 1973|
|5||T. Swaminathan||07 Feb., 1973-17 June ., 1977|
|6||S.L. Shakdhar||18 June, 1977-17 June1982|
|7||R.K. Trivedi||18 June, 1982 – 31 Dec , 1985|
|8||R.V.S. Peri Shastri||01 Jan., 1986-25 Nov., 1990|
|9||Smt. V.S. Rama Davi||26 Nov., 1990-11 Dec., 1990|
|10||T.N. Seshan||12 Dec., 1990-11Dec, 1996|
|11||M.s. Gill||12 Dec., 1996-13 June.,2001|
|12||J.M. Lyangdoh||14 June.,2001-07 Feb.,2004|
|13||T.S. Krishna Murthy||08Feb., 2004-15 May., 2005|
|14||B.B. Tandon||16 May., 2005-07 Feb., 2006|
|15||N. Gopalaswami||08 Feb., 2006-Till Date|
The chief Election Commissioner can be removed from his office only in a manner and on the grounds prescribed of removal of judge of the Supreme Court. Other Election Commissioner can be removed by the president on the recommendation of the Chief Election Commissioner. The Elections Commissioners has the power of Superintendence, direction and conduct of all elections to Parliament and the state Legislatures and of elections to the officers of the president and vice- presiden. Regional Commissioners can be appointed by the president in consultation with the Election Commissioners for assisting the Election Commission.
The Main Functions of the election Commission are:
- The preparation of electoral rolls before each general election and registration of all eligible voters.
- The delimitation of constituencies.
- The recognition of various political parts and allotment of election symbol to these parties.
- The preparation of a code of conduct for the political parties.
- The tendering of advice to the president regarding disqualification of the members of the parliaments.
- The conduct of elections to parliament state legislature and the office of president and vice- president
- The appointment of election officers to look into disputes concerning election arrangements.
- The preparation to roster for central broadcasts and telecasts by various political parties.
- Keep voters lists up-to-date at all times.
- To issue identity cards to the voters.