Indian Geography and Important Facts
Location and Position of India World Scale Map:
- Lying between latitude 8˚4’ N to 37˚6’ N and from longitude 68˚4’ E to 97˚25’ E, the country is divided into almost equal parts by the Tropic of Cancer (Passing from Jabalpur in MP).
- The southernmost point in Indian Territory, (in Great Nicobar Island) is the Indira point (6˚45’), while Kanyakumari, also known as Cape Comorin, is the southernmost point of Indian mainland. The country thus lies wholly in the northern and eastern hemispheres.
- The 82˚30’ E longitude is taken as the Standard Time Maridian of India, as it passes through the middle of India (from Naini, near Allahabad).
Area and Boundaries of India
- India stretches 3,214 km. from N to S & 2,933 km. from E to W.
- Area: 32, 87,263 sq. km. Accounts for 2.4% of the total world area and 16% of the population.
- Mainland India has a coastline of 6,100 km. Including the Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar, the coastline measures about 7516.6 km.
- In India, of the total land mass:
- Plains: 43.3%, Plateaus: 27.7%, Hills: 18.6%, Mtns: 10.7%.
- In the South, on the eastern side, the Gulf of Mannar & the Palk Strait separate India from Sri Lanka.
- Total land neighbours: 7 (Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh and Myanmar).
- India’s Islands include the Andaman & Nicobar Islands in Bay of Bengal & Lakshadweep, minicoy & Amindive Islands in the Arabian Sea.
Facts about Position of States of India
- Uttar Pradesh borders maximum number of states- 8 (Eight): Uttaranchal, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan, MP, Chhatisgath, Jharkhand and Bihar.
- Tropic of Cancer passes through 8 (Eight) States: Gujarat, Rajasthan, MP, Chhatisgarh, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Tripura and Mizoram.
- Indian Standard Meridian (82˚30’E meridian) passes through UP, MP, Chhatisgarh, Orissa and Andhra Pradesh.
Last 5 posts in All Related to India