The Graduate School Admission Test is conducted by the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research or also known as TIFR. These tests are generally conducted by TIFR for PhD on various subjects which is one of the premier institutes in advanced fundamental sciences. It acquired the status of a deemed university in the year of 2002.
The institute offers graduate programs leading to various PhD degree as well as M.Sc and integrated PhD. The classifications that these programs fall under are computer and system sciences and Science education, mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology. The graduate school admission exam test pattern is unique in its own way following strict protocols. These tests are usually written with most of them falling under the category of objective type which are often followed by interviews.
The written tests are conducted at specific centers that are opted by the institute and the biology test is more often than not held on a specific Sunday of December each year and the same day it is conducted all over India at various centers. The tests comprise of basics in mathematics, chemistry, biology and physics however for computer and system sciences there are two streams of which one is in the area of computer science and the other in the area of systems science.
There are three parts in the question section divided by A, B, and C. Part A is common for all tests which cover general aptitude in mathematics of the candidate and as per the subject chosen the candidate need to attend either B or C. The mathematics generally comprise of topics covered in B.Sc mathematics.
The eligibility for these differ from course to course, and are categorized as follows:
- For GSA Mathematics: M.Sc./ B.E./ B.Tech./ M.Tech./ M.A./ B.A./ B.Sc. Degeree holders and also final year appearing students can apply who have a good academic record.
- For Physics or Chemistry: M.Sc./ B.E./ B.Tech./ M.Tech. degree holders and also apart from these mentioned fresh B.Sc candidates can apply but only who have a very good academic record.
- For Biology PhD programs: B.Tech., B.E., MBBS, B.V.Sc., BDS, B.Pharm. & M.Pharm as well as M.Sc degree holders in any basic science discipline.
- For Computer and System Sciences: B.E/ B.Tech/ M.E/ M.Tech/ M.Sc and consistent academic record holders can also apply but should be in their final year.
- For Science Education: B.E/ B.Tech/ M.B.B.S or equivalent or MSc in natural sciences/ mathematics/ statistics/ computer and information sciences/ pharmaceutical sciences / allied disciplines. or M.A/M.S.W in social/ behavioural science/ psychology/ linguistics/ sociology/ economics/ anthropology/ allied disciplines.