Location and Position of India World Scale Map:
- Lying between latitude 8Ë4â N to 37Ë6â N and from longitude 68Ë4â E to 97Ë25â E, the country is divided into almost equal parts by the Tropic of Cancer (Passing from Jabalpur in MP).
- The southernmost point in Indian Territory, (in Great Nicobar Island) is the Indira point (6Ë45â), while Kanyakumari, also known as Cape Comorin, is the southernmost point of Indian mainland. The country thus lies wholly in the northern and eastern hemispheres.
- The 82Ë30â E longitude is taken as the Standard Time Maridian of India, as it passes through the middle of India (from Naini, near Allahabad).
Area and Boundaries of India
- India stretches 3,214 km. from N to S & 2,933 km. from E to W.
- Area: 32, 87,263 sq. km. Accounts for 2.4% of the total world area and 16% of the population.
- Mainland India has a coastline of 6,100 km. Including the Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar, the coastline measures about 7516.6 km.
- In India, of the total land mass:
- Plains: 43.3%, Plateaus: 27.7%, Hills: 18.6%, Mtns: 10.7%.
- In the South, on the eastern side, the Gulf of Mannar & the Palk Strait separate India from Sri Lanka.
- Total land neighbours: 7 (Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh and Myanmar).
- Indiaâs Islands include the Andaman & Nicobar Islands in Bay of Bengal & Lakshadweep, minicoy & Amindive Islands in the Arabian Sea.
Facts about Position of States of India
- Uttar Pradesh borders maximum number of states- 8 (Eight): Uttaranchal, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan, MP, Chhatisgath, Jharkhand and Bihar.
- Tropic of Cancer passes through 8 (Eight) States: Gujarat, Rajasthan, MP, Chhatisgarh, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Tripura and Mizoram.
- Indian Standard Meridian (82Ë30âE meridian) passes through UP, MP, Chhatisgarh, Orissa and Andhra Pradesh.