ISAT Admission Test (IIST, Thiruvananthapuram):
ISAT (Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology Admission Test) is conducted by IIST, Thiruvananthapuram, which is Asia’s first Space University to offer courses in Space Science and technology for undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral level. It offers B.Tech. degree courses in Aerospace Engineering, Physical Sciences and Avionics. Score attained in the ISAT is considered as a major criterion in Admissions to these courses. The ISAT – 2011 was conducted on 16th April 2011. It has duration of three hours and the online registration began from 1st November 2010. Students can also visit the official website at www.iist.ac.in for detailed information.
The students after completion of their degree, on the condition of a minimum specified academic score are absorbed in ISRO as Engineers/Scientists. Students are also offered an assistantship during their B.Tech degree to cover the cost of education, boarding, lodging and healthcare. Eligibility criteria for students appearing in ISAT are as follows:
- The candidate should be an Indian citizen.
- Candidates must have attained a minimum age of 16 years in case of general category and 21 years in case of OBC categories
- A candidate who has passed the QE (qualifying examination) for the first time, in the year 2010 or 2011, provided the results are available by 1 July 2011.
- Candidates belonging to general and OBC category must obtain at least 70% marks in aggregate in their Class X, while those belonging to reserved categories must obtain at least 60% marks.
- Candidates belonging to general and OBC categories must ob at least 70% marks in aggregate in their Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PCM) papers in their 10+2 exam, while those belonging to reserved categories must obtain at least 60% marks in aggregate in their PCM papers.
To apply for the test, the candidate has to register online on the website of the institute. Candidates have to fill submit the application form online. A nominal fee of INR 600 for general category and INR 300 for reserved category is payable at any State Bank of India (SBI) or Punjab National Bank (PNB) branch by using a triplicate form downloadable through their official website of IIST.
The career opportunities thereafter are nothing but the best. Moreover, students are exposed to the best in space technology and research. The aspiration of being a space scientist propels the best Indian brains to compete for the few available seats at IIST.