Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering & Technology (SLIET), which is a Deemed-to-be-University, formed by Government of India through Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) in order to provide technical education in areas of Engineering and Technology, conducts SLIET Entrance Test (SET). SLIET was established in 1991 in the memory of late Sant Harchand Singh Longowal, and is a fully funded organization.
Great emphasis is given on imparting practical training in related industry and it fulfills the technical work force requirements of various levels by following a concept of modular system. The educational programs of this institute are practical oriented and innovative.
SLIET offers direct admission to all Indian candidates who are living abroad in undergraduate engineering courses through Direct Admission of students Abroad (DASA 2011-12 ) .
There is a provision for certificate students to enter to diploma & diploma students to degree courses.
The university provides diploma certifications, degree courses and even PhD degree courses. SLIET was the first university, which offered B. Tech degree courses to diploma students thus opening newer career prospects for them. It also offers its students to upgrade from certificate to diploma courses and from diploma to degree courses. It also offers M.Tech and MBA courses.
The various disciplines of B.Tech degree offered are:
- Computer science and Engineering
- Electronics and communication Engineering
- Electrical and instrumentation Engineering
- Chemical technology with specialization in Polymer technology.
- Food Technology
- Instrumentation and control Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering with specialization in welding technology
- Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Manufacturing Technology
- Information Technology
SLIET Entrance Exam has two papers. Paper-I consists of English, mathematics, General Knowledge, Physics, chemistry, and Mental Aptitude, while Paper-II consists of Basics of Engineering.
Eligibility criteria for appearing in SET are as under:
- All candidates having Diploma degree in any discipline from SLIET or from any other polytechnic approved by All India Council for Technical Education are eligible to take SET for degree courses.
- Candidates having a minimum qualification of 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics from a recognized University or a Certificate holder from SLIET are also eligible to take SET for Diploma courses.
- The candidates, who have studied Biology, Biotechnology instead of mathematics at 10 + 2 level are also eligible.
SLIET has introduced the practice of upgrading degrees, which has helped many students to go for higher studies and earn a degree that they have desired!