Major Events and Top News Headlines of 01 August 2009:
- The country’s largest two-wheeler maker Hero Honda Motors Ltd reported a jump of 30.39 per cent in its sales at 3,66,808 units in July compared to the sales in the same month last year.
- The landscape of Income Tax returns filing has been witnessing a slow and steady change with e-filing of returns picking up momentum, especially among the youth, owing to factors like familiarty, ease-of-use, security and speed.
- In a rebuff to PDP which targeted Chief Minister Omar Abdullah over the 2006 sex scandal, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram said on Saturday that the investigation into the case has been completed and the lists circulated by the party in J-K Assembly were uncorroborated “pieces”.
- Sri Lanka beat Pak by 6 wickets
- To ensure that the benefits of reservation reach all the deprived communities who have to compete with the “better off” within themselves, the grandson of Dr BR Ambedkar and former MP Prakash Ambedkar has decided to launch a unique campaign to advocate rationing of quota.