Major Events and Top News Headlines of 01 July 2009:
- Ludhiana, Hyderabad and Bhubaneswar figure at the top of the World Bank list among Indian cities where it is easiest to start and operate a business.
- The Budget for 2009-10 is a few days away and the aam aadmi has lot of expectations from the finance minister.
- The hype around tennis ace Sania Mirza may be bigger but ace shuttler Saina Nehwal clearly has the edge in terms of performance, feels badminton legend Prakash Padukone.
- The Centre on Wednesday increased the price of petrol by Rs 4 and diesel by Rs 2, but spared kerosene and LPG. The hike comes into effect from midnight and follows the international oil rates crossing 70 US dollars per barrel.
- Shiromani Akali Dal chief Sukhbir Singh Badal on Wednesday resigned as Deputy Chief Minister of Punjab after he failed to get elected to the Assembly within the stipulated time of six months from the day of appointment.