Major Events and Top News Headlines of 01 October 2009:
- Chairman of the world’s leading conglomerate GE, Jeffery Immelt, who is on a two-day visit to India, today met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and apprised him of the company’s plans for the country.
- To showcase India’s scientific achievements and attract the youth to science, the Railways in association with the Department of Science and Technology will run a ‘Science Express’ from Friday which will cover the entire length and breath of the country.
- The government is planning to release about 5.5 crore new LPG connections over the next five years, Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Murli Deora said.
- Bad weather conditions here have hampered search and rescue operations for survivors of the boat tragedy, which continued on Thursday.
- Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Thursday inaugurated nine maintenance tribunals on the occasion of International Day for Older Persons.