Major Events and Top News Headlines of 01 September 2009:
- Pakistan’s atomic weapons stockpile has jumped to an estimated 70-90 warheads from a previous figure of 60 and it is also developing two new types of nuclear-capable cruise missiles, according to a top American scientist.
- Interim pension regulator, the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA), will launch its savings scheme, which aims to give greater returns on the deposits, and can be withdrawn fully.
- The U.S. has taken “very seriously” the reports about illegal modifications made in the American-made Harpoon anti-ship missiles by Pakistan, to expand capabilities to strike land targets, a potential threat to India, even as Islamabad has agreed for “mutual inspections“.
- After the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati questioned the UPA government’s priorities on development, which she had claimed were Rae Bareli and Amethi centric, the BJP and Samajwadi Party too have called for bringing industries and central institutions in other parts of the state.
- Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national spokesperson Prakash Javadekar on Monday condemned the statement of National Security Adviser (NSA) M.K. Narayanan on Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Saeed.