Major Events and Top News Headlines of 02 August 2009:
- Taking a big leap in its technological quest, IIT Kanpur has developed a nano-satellite which is expected to provide real-time data on drought, flood, vegetation and forestation. The satellite, designed and developed by a group of students of the institute, will be handed over to ISRO, which is expected to launch it by the end of the year.
- French virologists said they had found a new subtype of the AIDS virus that appears to have jumped the species barrier to humans from gorillas.
- Strongly backing its players, the BCCI on Sunday rejected a controversial WADA anti-doping clause which makes it mandatory for cricketers to be available for out of competition testing, a decision which puts the Indian Board on collision course with the ICC.
- Pakistan’s Parliament should decide the fate of former President Pervez Musharraf following the Supreme Court’s verdict that the emergency imposed by him in 2007 was unconstitutional and illegal, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said.
- Former Iranian president and key supporter of Iranian opposition movement, Mohammad Khatami, denounced on Sunday the trial of around 100 people accused of rioting after the victory of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.