Major Events and Top News Headlines of 02 February 2010:
- China said on Tuesday that a possible meeting between U.S. President Barack Obama and the Dalai Lama would hurt trust between the two countries, already at odds over Washington’s arms sales to Taiwan.
- The Ahmedabad-based National Multi Commodity Exchange (NMCE) has signed an agreement with the Punjab National Bank and the Federal Bank for offering Warehouse Receipt finance for those clients who are in need of financial assistance against their stock stored in the Central Warehousing Corporation.
- Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi launched his Mission Bihar today by declaring that Biharis were in several ways “running the country”, and reminding the Shiv Sena and Raj Thackeray that the battle for Mumbai on 26/11 was fought and won by commandos from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
- Maintaining that no decision had yet been taken on whether he would visit Pakistan for the SAARC Interior Ministers’ Conference, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Monday said bilateral talks with Pakistan may happen if he were to go to Islamabad and an opportunity presented itself.
- The Navy will formally induct the Russian-made MiG-29K naval fighter jets for deployment on Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier on February 19 in Goa. The first four of the 16 MiG-29Ks that India had bought from Russia in 2004 along with Gorshkov were delivered at the INS Hansa naval base in Goa on December 4 last.