Major Events and Top News Headlines of 02 July 2009:
- In the notoriously dark world of Indian defence deals, the one thing that has rarely emerged is the defence ministry violating its own diktats. Singapore Technologies is on India’s list of seven blacklisted foreign weapons companies, which was barred on June 5 from dealing for suspected corrupt practices.
- A shortfall of about Rs 1,000 crore in meeting the annual fiscal target is giving Union railway minister Mamata Banerjee a tough time as she prepares to present the new UPA government”s first railway budget on Friday.
- It was an eight-year-long legal tussle that concluded in the historic judgement of Delhi High Court decriminalising homosexuality.
- Muslim community leaders have come out in opposition of the DHC judgement. “It is wrong to legalise homosexuality. We will not accept any such law,” reacted Jama Masjid Imam Ahmed Bukhari. He was critical of the government”s role in this. “If the government makes such attempt to scrap Section 377, we will oppose it strongly.”
- The CPI(M) and the NCP on Thursday welcomed the Delhi High Court”s ruling legalising gay sex among consenting adults, but the BJP chose not to officially comment on the order.