Major Events and Top News Headlines of 02 September 2009:
- The pilot of the helicopter that carried Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy made the last contact with the Air Traffic Controller of the Shamshabad airport here at 9.12 a.m. on Wednesday.
- Chandrayaan-1’s moon mineralogy mapper has confirmed the magma ocean hypothesis, meaning that the moon was once completely molten, a senior scientist said Wednesday.
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) had to call off its search and rescue operations for Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy’s Bell helicopter late on Wednesday evening as fading light forced the IAF’s four helicopters to turn back.
- The search for the missing helicopter is focussed around roughly 300 sq. km. of Nallamala forest in Kurnool and Prakasam districts, a daunting task indeed for the police teams that have fanned out into the thick forest area, once a Maoist stronghold.
- Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has stepped in to end the war of words between ruling PPP and opposition PML-N over the alleged smear campaign against ex—premier Nawaz Sharif, saying the heated exchange of charges on the issue could have serious consequences for democracy.