Major Events and Top News Headlines of 02 September 2010:
- New York Governor David Paterson on Tuesday signed into law the first extensive domestic workers’ rights measure in the nation, which he said will correct historic injustices.
- The new chiefs of four public sector banks took charge on Wednesday, including Canara Bank Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) S. Raman and UCO Bank chief Arun Kaul.
- Advanced economies must pursue long-term policy reforms to reduce public debt levels over the coming decades and ensure future fiscal sustainability, the International Monetary Fund has said.
- The chances of the U.S. economy slipping into another recession are close to 25-30 per cent, a noted American economist said.
- The parliament in Australia’s most populous state Thursday voted to allow same-sex couples the same rights to adopt as heterosexuals.