Major Events and Top News Headlines of 03 August 2009:
- Engineering firm Larsen & Toubro said it has bagged two orders worth Rs 5,300 crore (USD 1.18 billion) from state-run Oil & Natural Gas Corporation for offshore hydrocarbon projects.
- The H1N1 virus or swine flu claimed its first life in India when a 14-year-old girl died of multiple organ failure today at the Jehangir Hospital in Pune. She was a Class IX student of St Anne’s Girls High School in the city.
- Scientists create ‘gas gauge’ to avoid pregnancy loss.
- Tiger Woods cruised to his easiest victory of the year, getting away with an awful round to open the Buick Open and an average one to hold off a weak field.
- Search planes hunted Monday for an aircraft carrying 16 people that is believed to have crashed in eastern Indonesia.