Major Events and Top News Headlines of 04 August 2009:
- A local court found an ex-TDP MLA and six others guilty of detaining a passenger train in Guntur district and sentenced them to six months imprisonment.
- Premium men footwear and fashion lifestyle brand Red Tape is planning to invest Rs 100 crore by the end of next year as a part of its plan to treble the number of its exclusive outlets in the country.
- Legal tangles might have caused some delay but more than half of the construction work at the Commonwealth Games Village is over and the facility would be ready in March next year, the Sports Ministry said on Tuesday.
- The All India Football Federation is planning to approach cash-rich Indian Cricket Board for financial assistance for its national team’s 2011 Asian Cup preparations.
- An 86-year-old woman has been arrested in Chicago for the 61st time after she was caught stealing items worth about USD 250, including anti-wrinkle cream and batteries, from a retail shop.