Major Events and Top News Headlines of 04 September 2009:
- Further research was being carried out for the Chandrayaan-2 project, based on the quality data and photographs taken by Chandrayaan-1, whose mission came to an abrupt end last week, a top ISRO official said on Saturday.
- Lauding the global Trade Ministers for breaking the logjam over the Doha Round of talks, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Friday that a delay in resuming talks would have encouraged voices of protectionism.
- Bangladesh’s longest-serving finance minister, credited with turning the South Asian nation into a free market economy, was killed in a traffic accident on Saturday, an aide said. He was 77.
- As the country marked the Teachers’ Day on Saturday, the faculty members of prestigious IITs went on a hunger strike and teachers in Lucknow and Ranchi hit the streets demanding better wages suffering police lathicharge in the capital of Uttar Pradesh.
- On board the Discovery Space Shuttle, astronauts get to eat American, Canadian, Japanese, European and Russian cuisine. Most of them agree that this is as good as it gets. Though one of them – astronaut Tim Kopra – misses a particular beverage best served cold.