Major Events and Top News Headlines of 05 February 2010:
- The Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) standing committee has scrapped the property tax hike proposal of the municipal commissioner in the budget for fiscal 2010-11.
- Google Inc’s near-silence and seeming inaction since its bombshell announcement it may exit China reflects the Internet search leader’s fear of running afoul of the law and jeopardizing a multi-pronged strategy for the world’s top Internet market.
- Calcutta High Court on Friday upheld the death sentence of Aftab Ansari and Jamiluddin Nasir but commuted the capital punishment awarded to three others to seven years imprisonment in the case of January 2002 attack on the American Centre here.
- ‘Harry Potter’ star Emma Watson has emerged as the highest paid actress in Hollywood in a new list compiled by a magazine.
- acking R K Pachauri, who has come under flak for IPCC’s goof up on melting of Himalayan glaciers, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday said he has earned well deserved respect and international acclaim for his contribution in meeting challenges of climate change.