Major Events and Top News Headlines of 05 September 2009:
- As part of efforts to have a greater say in the running of the international financial institutions, India has decided to invest up to $10 billion from its reserves to supplement the resources of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Opposition Shiv Sena-BJP alliance has criticised Director General of Police (anti-corruption bureau) A N Roy’s appointment for handling election work during the upcoming assembly elections in Maharashtra.
- Top finance officials have debated the next steps for the recovering global economy, with European countries pushing for a crackdown on bankers’ bonuses while the U.S. stressed the need to boost bank reserves to prevent a repeat of the financial crisis.
- Swine flu has claimed at least 2,840 lives across the world and over 2.5 lakh of confirmed cases of the virus have been reported, the World Health Organisation (WHO) have said on Saturday.
- Himachal Pradesh sought Rs 608.13 crore from the Centre for drought relief on Saturday.