Major Events and Top News Headlines of 06 August 2009:
- India expressed its interest in having civil nuclear cooperation with Australia amid indications that the two countries are likely to sign an energy agreement in November under which Australia may supply uranium for joint venture power plants.
- Accusing Union Ministers belonging to Trinamool Congress of “instigating” violence while visiting sensitive areas in West Bengal like Lalgarh, the CPM asked the Centre and the Congress to clarify their stand on the issue.
- In findings that may further strain Congress-BSP relationship in Uttar Pradesh, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India has detected serious lapses and irregularities in the implementation of the NREGA scheme in the state.
- Agreements between former President Bill Clinton’s foundation and two drug companies will lower prices on medications for patients with drug-resistant HIV in the developing world.
- Australia will mount three high- profile visits, including by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, to India this year as part of Canberra’s efforts to reinforce ties with New Delhi in the backdrop of a series of attacks on Indian students Down Under.