Major Events and Top News Headlines of 06 August 2010:
- The Congress attacked BJP in Chhattisgarh for portraying its chief Sonia Gandhi as a ‘witch’ in a cartoon on price rise, saying it has crossed the ‘limits of decency’.
- The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) will announce a draw for 15,000 houses sometime in September. DDA vice-chairperson Ashok Kumar Nigam said on Thursday that the houses are in areas like Jasola, Narela, Vasant Kunj and Dwarka.
- Opposition Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh are fuming after the ruling BJP’s in-house monthly magazine Deep Kamal published a controversial cover-page cartoon with striking resemblance to Congress president Sonia Gandhi, portraying her as a daayan or a witch.
- The Suresh Kalmadi-led Commonwealth Games Organising Committee (OC) may have some more explaining to do. A scrutiny of the final inventory and price list of several “overlays” — movable fixtures and fittings for venues and stadia — hired from four foreign firms reveals major anomalies.
- The US has announced USD 25 million aid for the flood relief work in Pakistan, taking the total humanitarian fund to the inundation ravaged nation to USD 35 million.