Major Events and Top News Headlines of 06 February 2010:
- West Zone created a world record in first class cricket by successfully chasing down a mammoth 536-run target to clinch the Duleep Trophy with a dramatic three-wicket victory, riding on Yusuf Pathan’s scintillating double century.
- Sania Mirza and veteran Rushmi Charavarthy registered contrasting singles victories as India blanked Kyrgyzstan 3-0 in the play-off tie to win back their place in the Asia/Oceania Group I of the Fed Cup tennis tournament here today.
- Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday had a spat during the Chief Ministers’ conference on food prices here after the former accused Mr. Modi of politicising the issue of the election promise made by the Congress to provide Rs.3 per kg wheat or rice to the poor.
- The Income Tax department raids on the premises of top government and private officials in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, that led to the suspension of an IAS couple on Friday, seems to have let the cat among the pigeons.
- A Yemeni state security court sentenced the elder brother of a Shiite rebel leader to 15 years in prison on Saturday for supporting the Shiite rebellion in north-western Yemen.