Major Events and Top News Headlines of 06 July 2009:
- Narendra Modi’s move to set up a commission to inquire into the shifts in the demographic profile of the state since Independence has been greeted with immense scepticism.
- Come 2012 and the redemption of cumulative outstanding foreign currency convertible bonds (FCCBs) of CNX 500 and BSE 500 companies, is expected to touch a whopping $ 6.4 billion (about Rs 32,000 crore at current exchange rates).
- Having learnt a lesson from the electoral backlash, the CPM has decided to finally address the decade-old issue of factionalism in its Kerala unit.
- India Inc on Monday welcomed the focus on reviving economic growth to 9 per cent as also the indications for bold tax reforms, but expressed regret that the Minimum Alternate Tax (MAT) was raised and Security Transaction Tax (SAT) was let to continue.
- The BJP and the Left parties on Monday criticised the Union Budget while the UPA’s former ally RJD said Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had ignored the needs of Bihar.