Major Events and Top News Headlines of 06 September 2010:
- The government will do all it can to provide affordable food to those below the poverty line but cannot implement the Supreme Court’s order to give free foodgrains to the poor, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Monday.
- Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday promised a job for anyone tipping about sabotage attempts. She also warned of strong action against those indulging in subversive acts.
- Air India Express’ decision to curtail a number of flights on several routes, including the Gulf, was based on operational reasons and the frequency drop would be only 8 to 10 per cent, a senior AI official here said.
- A dovish U.S. Jewish group says more than 150 film and theatre artists have signed a letter of support for Israeli actors who refused to perform in a West Bank settlement.
- A British judge sentenced a Church of England minister to four years in jail on Monday for his part in a sham—marriage scam which saw hundreds of African men marry European women so they could stay in Britain.