Major Events and Top News Headlines of 07 August 2009:
- Jammu and Kashmir’s ruling National Conference party on Friday said it had never opted for state’s accession with either India or Pakistan and asked Islamabad to apologise for claiming Kashmir on communal ground.
- Two suspected Hizbul Mujahideen militants, who were arrested in New Delhi on Thursday night, had undergone training in terror camps in Pakistan and had been told to carry out strikes in the national capital, police sources said on Friday.
- The World Health Organization has announced that the first vaccines for swine flu pandemic are likely to be ready for use by September this year.
- Strongly backing the Obama Administration’s endeavour to deepen bilateral relationship with India, a powerful Republican Senator said Indo-US strategic ties would bring stability not only in the region but also across the world.
- The US Air Force on Friday launches a new Global Strike Command responsible for nuclear forces after two major mishaps raised doubts about the supervision of the country’s atomic weapons.