Major Events and Top News Headlines of 07 January 2009:
- Former BSP president of Auraiya surrenders in engineer murder case.
- India’s Somdev through to Chennai Open tennis second round win against American Kevin Kim on Tuesday.
- Sanjay Gupta, an Indian-American who works as CNN’s chief medical correspondent, has been approached by President-elect Barack Obama to become the surgeon general of the US.
- Israel announce to establish a “humanitarian corridor” to get needed supplies to Palestinian civilians in the embattled Gaza Strip, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert announced overnight on Tuesday.
- India’s space agency along with astronomers from across the country will launch a “unique” satellite later this year to study distant galaxies and black holes.
- Australia won by 103 runs in the third and final cricket Test to prevent a series white-wash and retain the top spot in ICC rankings.
- The BSE Sensex ended to record a heavy loss of 749.05 points at 9,586.88 after Satyam chairman Ramalinga Raju tendered his resignation on Wednesday.
- The New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday halted trading in the stock of beleaguered Satyam Computer Services prior to the opening of the market at 9.30 a.m.