Major Events and Top News Headlines of 07 October 2009:
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday asked the people of Haryana to return Congress to power in the state contending it needed a government which would work in tandem with the Centre and reap the benefits of centrally-sponsored schemes.
- To honour Norman Borlaug’s invaluable contribution in Green Revolution, India will set up a Norman Borlaug Chair in Agricultural Biotechnology for Crop Improvement at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) at Pusa in New Delhi.
- The diaries, letters and other private papers of Eliamma Matthen and C.P. Matthen, which could throw new light on the political and social history of the erstwhile state of Travancore of the 1930s and 1940s.
- Two Americans and an Israeli scientist won the 2009 Nobel Prize in Chemistry on Wednesday for atom-by-atom mapping of the protein-making factories within cells.
- The World Bank supported India and other developing nations’ call for raising their voting share in the multilateral development agency by six per cent to 50 per cent to reflect the reality of today’s world.