Major Events and Top News Headlines of 08 August 2009:
- The Government said oil and gas explorers are bound by the production sharing contract (PSC) which gives it the right to approve a gas price formula and decide on utilisation of the fuel.
- Atleast 38 people are feared buried in a landslide resulting from a cloudburst in Nachni area near Munshiyari in Pithoragatrh district of Uttarakhand.
- Samajwadi Party, which supports the UPA from outside, blamed its “faulty” policies for uncontrolled inflation and targeted the Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh over the prevailing drought situation in the state.
- Search engine Google on Saturday admitted its “mistake” of wrong depiction of certain areas of Arunachal Pradesh as parts of China and said its maps would be rectified shortly.
- Teenager Umar Akmal smashed an unbeaten 102 off 72 balls and skipper Younus Khan made 89 as Pakistan piled up 321-5 in the fourth one-dayer against Sri Lanka here on Friday.