Major Events and Top News Headlines of 08 February 2010:
- India could play a leading role in the proposed global task force on tax and development, being set up by OECD, a top official of the grouping has said.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) Chairman K. Radhakrishnan on Monday said the flight- testing of the indigenous cryogenic stage of the Geo Stationary Launch Vehicle (GSLV) D3 would be conducted in April.
- The Left Front government in West Bengal has stolen a march over the United Progressive Alliance government at the Centre on the implementation of the Ranganath Mishra Commission’s recommendations by deciding to reserve 10 per cent of government jobs for the economically, educationally and socially backward sections among Muslims.
- The All-India Bar Association (AIBA) has expressed shock and concern over the ‘life-threatening’ phone call received by its vice-chairman S. Prabhakaran and has sought the immediate intervention of President Pratibha Patil and the Chief Justice of India K.G. Balakrishnan to ensure the advocate’s safety.
- Former Pakistan Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed was injured and four others were killed on Monday when unidentified gunmen attacked his election office in the garrison city of Rawalpindi.