Major Events and Top News Headlines of 08 July 2009:
- Michael Jackson’s death has been termed as one of the biggest news items of the century. And it seems that the pop legend’s last journey may become the biggest televised event of recent times.
- Hockey India on Tuesday named a 23-member squad for a 25-day European tour, starting later this month, where Spaniard Jose Brasa will make his debut as the national team coach.
- India on Wednesday indicated that it would take up with Pakistan the issue of spoofing of terrorists’ satellite phones which hampers efforts to track them.
- Environment minister Jairam Ramesh has taken note of the fact that no action is being taken against rampant poachers in Panna Tiger Reserve.
- Former skipper Sourav Ganguly on Wednesday welcomed Rahul Dravid’s return to India’s ODI scheme of things and said the experienced right-hander’s inclusion will be a bonus for the Mahendra Singh Dhoni-led side at the Champions Trophy in South Africa later this year.