Major Events and Top News Headlines of 08 September 2009:
- Oil prices hovered near $68 a barrel on Tuesday in Asia for a fifth day as the U.S. summer driving season wound down and OPEC planned to meet on Wednesday.
- Steve Job’s ‘by-invitation-only’ meeting at San Franciso on Wednesday has set the pulse racing for ipod and Apple fans. Apple is known to spring a surprise at their annual events. And it also marks the return of Steve Jobs after a 6-month medical leave.
- The shortlist for this year’s £50,000 Man Booker Prize, announced here on Tuesday, is loaded with heavy-weight novelists with not a single first-time writer in contention.
- The case against an Al-Qaeda gang that plotted to bring down trans-Atlantic aircraft proves that wiretaps and other intercept evidence should be allowed in British courts, Britain’s former chief prosecutor said on Tuesday.
- Political pressure on the Gujarat Chief Minister, Narendra Modi, mounted on Tuesday, a day after a magistrate ruled that college girl, Ishrat Jahan, and three others were gunned down in a “fake encounter” in June 2004 and dubbed as “terrorists” who had plotted to “kill” the Chief Minister.