Major Events and Top News Headlines of 9th April 2015:
- Satyam founder and former chairman Ramalinga Raju was sentenced by Special CBI Court Judge BVLN Chakravarthi to seven years in jail and fined Rs 5 crore for his part in falsifying the firm’s books to the tune of Rs 7,136 crore.
- The government on Thursday froze all foreign funding to Greenpeace India by suspending its registration under the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA), 2010 for six months.
- China plans to build a tun nel under Mount Everest to extend its Qinghai-Lhasa rail link to Nepal, an ambitious project which could worry New Delhi about Beijing’s growing influence in its neighbourhood.
- A total of 7,055 trees of 189 species planted by P K Tripathi, former chief secretary and commissioner of Public Grievance Commission released the figures on the occasion of 79th anniversary of Lodhi Garden.
- Over 20 bands and 140 dancers will perform at a festival showcasing the culture of the northeast at Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium on April 11, 2015. President Pranab Mukherjee will inaugurate the programme that will witness representation from the eight NE states–Assam, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Tripura, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Nagaland and Manipur. Meghalaya.
- Bengali television actress Disha Ganguly was found dead under mysterious circumstances here on Thursday , triggering a suicide bid by a small time actress who lived with her.
- India’s 50% pregnant women are anaemic enhancing the risk of maternal mortality as well as chances of delivering babies with low birth weight according to Global Alli ance for Improved Nutrition.
- DGCA will make it mandatory for airlines to conduct psychometric exams at regular intervals. “IAF psychologists and two IAF doctors are finalize the three-phase testing that we are considering.
- India on Thursday completed its Operation Rahat with the evacuation of 630 Indian nationals, including 144 nurses, from Sana’a by three Air India flights.
- Indian ace shutller Saina Nehwal dropped to the 2nd rand in the latest Badminton World Federation ranking list released on 9th April. She lost her top position to reigning Olympic champion Li Xuerui, who regained the top spot.
- FlipKart announced its tie-up with Mumbai Dabbawala on 9th April to provide last mile delivery services to the customers. Dabawalla of Mumbai is well
known name in the profession of transporting lunch boxes with absolute precision for more than 120 years.
- Uber Launched an auto-rickshaw services in Delhi on 9th April. Passengers can book an auto through the app UperAUTO and can pay in cash without compromising the standard of this widely used city transportation mode.
- The foreign currency deposit rating of ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank and Axis Bank has been downgraded to Baa3/P-3 from earlier Baa2/P-2 on April 9, 2015. Global rating agency Moody downgraded local currency bank deposit rating and senior unsecured ratings of these three biggest private lenders.
- Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Anil Yadav was shot dead on April 9, 2015 in Gurgaon. He was a close aide of Haryana minister and Badshahpur legislator Rao Narbir Singh. His wife Sunita Yadav is a councilor of Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has left for an eight days, three nation visit to France, Germany, and Canada on 9th April with the objective to create a platform for industrial and technological association with these industrialized democracies. All of these three countries are G7 country.
- The NGO Greenpeace India has been charged under the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) by the Ministry of Home Affairs on April 9, 2015. The government has also frozen all the 7 accounts operated by Greenpeace.