Major Events and Top News Headlines of 09 August 2009:
- Taking a strong exception to Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad’s statement, that Reeda Sheikh was responsible for the entry of swine flu in India, members of her family on Sunday demanded his resignation.
- The Municipal Corporation byelections to Ward number 10 witnessed a low voter turnout on Saturday. After a record-breaking voter percentage during the Lok Sabha elections, only 41.09 per cent votes were polled today.
- Pakistan’s Interior Minister Rehman Malik has challenged the Taliban to prove that their top leaders Baitullah Mehsud and Hakimullah Mehsud are still alive.
- Typhoon Morakot churned toward China forcing the evacuation of nearly 1 million people Sunday, a day after lashing Taiwan with torrential rains that caused the worst flooding on the island in 50 years.
- At least 38 people are feared buried in a landslide resulting from a cloudburst in Nachni area near Munshiyari in Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand. Unofficial sources are putting the toll at more than 50.