Major Events and Top News Headlines of 09 January 2009:
- St Mark’s cathedral, built in 1808 for the British army, still continues to exude old world ambience.
- Rahul Gandhi is now at the centre of the Congress party’s calculations for its next prime ministerial candidate.
- Two-third of the 425 petrol pumps in the national capital did not open because of lack of stocks, while 60 per cent outlets in Mumbai hung ‘No Stock’ signs boards.
- 2 top Al Qaeda leaders killed in US missile strike in Pak.
- At least 40 people, including 22 children, were killed and over 20 others injured in fire engulfs slum area in Karachi.
- Trinamool Congress has won the Nandigram Assembly bye-election with its candidate Firoza Bibi defeating CPI nominee Paramananda Bharati in a multi-cornered contest.
- former Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) member Shalinitai Patil launched her new party, the Krantisena Maharashtra.
- The Chandigarh Police has challaned Bollywood actor Ajay Devgan for flouting the ban on public smoking in the ‘City Beautiful’ following protests by environmentalists and social activists.
- Former Satyam chairman Ramalinga Raju and his brother Ram Raju surrendered before the Director General of Andhra Pradesh Police on Friday night.