Major Events and Top News Headlines of 09 July 2009:
- The new US ambassador to India, Timothy Roemer, is expected to arrive in New Delhi sometime next week, at least a few days ahead of the visit of the secretary of state, Hillary Clinton.
- Backroom bickering in the BJP is now loud enough to resound in Parliament. Opposition leader L.K. Advani has sidelined chief dissenters Yashwant Sinha, Arun Shourie and Jaswant Singh even at the cost of watering down the party’s response to major policy pronouncements.
- Government websites in US and South Korea took a hit following widespread cyber attacks said to have originated from North Korea this week.
- China had recently objected to ADB funding an irrigation project in Arunachal Pradesh, which is a “clear violation” of the charter of the multilateral lending agency, the government informed the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.
- The Railway Budget was on Thursday passed by the Lok Sabha, with Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee announcing a slew of measures to tone up the functioning of the railways in terms of amenities and safety, and deciding to set up an expert committee to prepare a blueprint for future.