Major Events and Top News Headlines of 09 September 2010:
- Declaring the beginning of the “next phase” of a programme to combat childhood obesity, the first lady, Michelle Obama, called on Congress on September 8 to pass legislation that would make many of the programme’s initiatives possible.
- The Supreme Court on Thursday held that the Competition Commission of India has authority to direct investigation pertaining to fair trade practices and its directions cannot be challenged before the Competition Appellate Tribunal (COMPAT).
- India and the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) have signed a three-year grant agreement for $128.4 million or Rs.609.9 crore to support the continuation of flagship programmes of the National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO).
- In an attempt to explore newer markets, a delegation of textile manufacturers belonging to Knit Cloth Manufacturers Association (KNITMA) here is all set to embark upon a week-long trade mission to leading textile clusters in Russia later this month.
- U.S. best—selling novelist John Grisham condemned on Thursday the plan by an evangelical preacher to burn the Quran, saying it was the crazy act of a religious fanatic.