Major Events and Top News Headlines of 10 August 2009:
- Domestic passenger car sales recorded 30.91 per cent increase at 1,15,067 units in July from 87,901 units in the same month last year.
- Late King of Pop Michael Jackson had reportedly offered 800,000 dollars to a doctor in a desperate bid to feed his prescription drugs addiction, in the run up to his 50-date concert tour.
- Aggrieved by the alleged hacking of her daughter’s password for the GUJCET online admission process, which led to her daughter’s selection for an Amreli-based civil engineering college, a Bharuch-based woman has moved the Gujarat High Court to secure the girl’s admission at any college of her choice, now.
- West Australian cricketer Luke Pomersbach, who plays with Indian Premier League team Kings XI Punjab, has been charged with assaulting police while allegedly trying to escape custody after a traffic accident.
- An estimated 400 Taiwanese are unaccounted for after a mudslide spawned by Typhoon Morakot struck their isolated mountain village, a police official said on Monday, and a newspaper quoted a resident as saying as many as 600 were buried.