Major Events and Top News Headlines of 10 December 2010:
- = The Federal Aviation Administration is missing key information on who owns one-third of the 357,000 private and commercial aircraft in the U.S. – a gap the agency fears could be exploited by terrorists and drug traffickers.
- = The Association of University Teachers (AUT) will launch indefinite strike from December 15 demanding immediate withdrawal of Bills to convert two government-aided institutions into unitary universities which, it alleges, will eventually lead to total privatisation of higher education.
- = The Supreme Court today upheld its controversial remarks that something was “rotten” in the Allahabad High Court where the “uncle judges syndrome” was rampant and needed cleansing.
- = In one of the biggest foreign investments in the steel sector, Russia’s mining giant Severstal on Friday inked an agreement with India’s biggest iron ore miner NMDC to set up a 5-million tonne steel plant in Karnataka.
- =The U.S. considered taking military action against a Ukrainian ship carrying tanks and anti-aircraft guns after it was hijacked by Somali pirates two years ago, according to a confidential cable released on Friday.