Major Events and Top News Headlines of 11 August 2009:
- The Indian rupee depreciated by 22 paise to 48.02 against the US dollar in early trade on expectations of more capital outflows and dollar demand from importers.
- Less than 24 hours after Jammu Kashmir’s Health Minister Sham Lal Sharma told the State Legislative Assembly that there has been no case of swine flu detected in the state, the Jammu Kashmir reported its first case of swine flu on Monday late evening.
- Four new venues and a third place playoff match will be introduced in the third Indian Premier League which will get underway in Hyderabad on March 12, 2010 with a game between IPL II winners Deccan Chargers and Kolkata Knight Riders.
- Chinese diplomats are entitled to object to Uighur activist Rebiya Kadeer’s public appearances in Australia, but must do so politely, Australia’s government said Tuesday.
- Flooding in Taiwan triggered by Typhoon Morakot has killed 38 people and another 62 are missing, rescuers said on Tuesday.