Major Events and Top News Headlines of 11 July 2009:
- Does sporting dark glasses while raising questions in Parliament amount to disrespect of the chair? Though it is not among the banned items in Parliament, Lok Sabha secretariat officials feel that wearing dark goggles inside the House is “avoidable unless it is medically necessary”. With as many as 300 first-time MPs in the 15th Lok Sabha, the secretariat on Friday released a list of “parliamentary customs, conventions and etiquette” as a guideline for the debutants.
- India”s economy appears to be on the recovery path with industrial production clocking a 2.7 per cent growth in May this year over the same month of 2008 on the back of the stimulus packages announced by the government.
- Responding to criticism over the party’s poor performance in Lok Sabha elections, BJP president Rajnath Singh on Friday said the saffron party won’t change its character as suggested by ‘political analysts.’
- The group of eight developed countries have vowed to curb transfer enrichment and reprocessing (ENR) technology and equipment, surprising India as it goes against the spirit of Nuclear Suppliers Group’s “clean” waiver to it.
- The death toll in Gujarat’s worst moonshine tragedy has risen to 136 with 26 more people dying in city hospitals after consuming illicit liquor, officials said on Saturday.