Major Events and Top News Headlines of 11 July 2010:
- Border Security Force (BSF) on Sunday lodged a strong protest with its Pakistani counterpart over cross-border firing and ceasefire violations at a forward post along Indo-Pak border in Samba district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- An encounter broke out between security forces and militants, including a top Lashker-e-Toiba commander, in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday.
- Opposition PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti on Sunday rejected Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s appeal to attend an all-party meeting convened by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday to discuss the situation in Kashmir and sought his intervention to defuse tension in the valley.
- Japanese began voting on Sunday in an upper house election that could deliver Prime Minister Naoto Kan’s government a major blow, stalling efforts to curb a huge public debt and putting the premier’s job at risk.
- According to data provided by Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa in the Karnataka Assembly, the 2009-10 financial year has been a bumper one for illegal exports of iron ore from Karnataka.