Major Events and Top News Headlines of 12 August 2009:
- The country’s largest car maker Maruti Suzuki India has achieved the feat of rolling out the 1,00,000th of its flagship export model, A-Star.
- In a crucial testimony, the FBI on Wednesday told a special court trying the Mumbai terror attack case that Global Positioning System (GPS) devices used by terrorists had indicated that they had come from Karachi.
- Mumbai’s Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) K L Prasad has been appointed State Intelligence Department (SID) chief, the Home Department said.
- All 13 people aboard a chartered plane heading to a tourist region of Papua New Guinea were killed when the plane crashed while approaching the rugged terrain during foul weather, Australia’s prime minister said Wednesday.
- China has formally arrested four employees of Australian mining giant Rio Tinto on charges of trade secrets infrigment and bribery, a downgrade from more serious claims of espionage.