Major Events and Top News Headlines of 12 August 2010:
- Earlier this week, Law Minister M Veerappa Moily, in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha, said the number of pending cases in courts across the country has touched an all-time high of 3.13 crore, up from 3.04 crore last year.
- Seemingly unimpressed by tardy preparations for the New Delhi Commonwealth Games, Australia’s Olympic chief John Coates on Thursday said India will have to prepare in a better way if it aspires to host Olympic Games in future.
- Age did not deter this 67-year-old American, who worked as a teacher in India for a couple of years, from undertaking a 3,831 miles bicycle tour criss-crossing the US to raise funds to the tune of USD 14,500 for the education of children in India’s rural areas.
- US President Barack Obama has greeted the people of the Muslim world on the occasion of beginning of the holy month of Ramadan.
- State-run behemoth National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) today said it would begin the construction of its 3-million-tonne integrated steel plant worth Rs 14,000 crore at Nagarnar in Chhattisgarh by November.