Major Events and Top News Headlines of 12 September 2009:
- The Karyavattom campus of the University of Kerala will host the 97th Indian Science Congress jointly organised by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the University from January 3 to 7, 2010.
- With the standoff between the West Indies Cricket Board and its players showing no signs of ending, a concerned Australia, which is scheduled to host the side, is exploring other options to avoid playing a second string team from the Caribbean.
- In the backdrop of a debate on the future direction of Sino-Indian relations, two former Foreign Secretaries, Shyam Saran and Shiv Shankar Menon have separately advocated that New Delhi collaborate with Beijing along with other stake holders in shaping the security architecture in the Indian Ocean region.
- A high-level Pakistani investigation team will travel to Sri Lanka next week to probe reports that elements in the island nation were linked to the terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore, Interior Minister Rehman Malik said.
- The benefits of Antyodaya Anna Yojana that ensures supply of 35 kg rice a month at the rate of Rs 2 to widows should be extended to all single women and families headed by women, the Communist Party of India (Marxist) has demanded.