Major Events and Top News Headlines of 13 August 2010:
- Tata Steel on Thursday reported a robust growth in consolidated net profit at Rs 1,825.26 crore for the quarter to June driven by strong demand from sectors like automobile and constructions.
- The NDA today accused the Congress and the RJD of trying to create a “caste frenzy” in Bihar ahead of the Assembly elections and requested the Election Commission to “derecognise” them.
- Widening its probe into alleged financial irregularities in the Commonwealth Games, the Enforcement Directorate is looking at the source and gateways through which payment was made for the Queens Baton Relay in London last October.
- British energy major BP Plc will pay a record fine of USD 50.6 million to the US authorities to settle claims related to an explosion at its Texas plant in 2005.
- An Indian-American professor at the University of Texas, Austin, has won the prestigious Dirac Medal for his contribution to the understanding of theoretical physics, becoming the first Indian origin to grab the honour.