Major Events and Top News Headlines of 13 January 2010:
- The decision of the UK government to press ahead with new visa norms that would require ‘high risk’ visitors from India to furnish a £3,000 bond to obtain a six-month visitor visa has elicited sharp reactions.
- Andhra Pradesh Director General of Police R.R. Girish Kumar came under fire from leaders of Telangana for speaking his mind on the Maoist threat in the event of formation of a smaller state (Telangana).
- IT firm HCL Infosystems on Wednesday said, it has entered into a strategic partnership with Central Bank of India (CBoI) to provide consumer finance for purchase of computing devices and accessories.
- Concerned over corruption hampering the proper implementation of the flagship rural job guarantee programme, the Planning Commission on Wednesday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to set up a national authority to oversee the programme.
- Chief Justice of India K. G. Balakrishnan on Wednesday said the full court of the Supreme Court will consider the implication of the Delhi High Court verdict holding that the office of the CJI came within the ambit of the Right to Information Act.