Major Events and Top News Headlines of 14 August 2009:
- The IMF Board of Governors have approved a general allocation of Special Drawing Rights (SDR) equivalent to USD 250 billion to provide liquidity to global economic system by supplementing its member countries’ foreign exchange reserves.
- In yet another evidence of Pakistan link to the 26/11 terror attacks, a witness on Friday told the special court in Mumbai that five mobile phones used by terrorists in the dastardly act were manufactured by Nokia Inc in China and shipped to Pakistan in June 2008.
- After Congress President Sonia Gandhi, it is now time for son Rahul to reach out to the dalits in Uttar Pradesh and galvanise the party to take on the Mayawati government.
- US committed to strong ties with India: Clinton I-Day message.
- With an aim to save Mohali from water scarcity in the coming days, municipal councillor Kuljeet Singh Bedi filed a public interest litigation (PIL) in the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday.